Compassionate. Smart. Experienced.

Helping You Move Forward

When you go through a divorce, a number of the decisions are based on the future; you or your ex’s future ability to make decisions for your children; you or your ex’s future income; you or your ex’s future time to watch children; etc. While the court generally works to ensure the divorce settlement will be broad enough to cover most future scenarios, everyone knows it is impossible to predict the future. If your or your ex’s circumstances change drastically, you may need to contact your Denver divorce attorney to start working on a post-judgment modification.

These modifications allow you to alter your divorce settlement so they better fit the reality of your current situation. If you were ordered to provide spousal maintenance, for example, but your ex recently tripled his or her income at the same time that you were forced to take on a much lower-paying job, you may need to modify your maintenance payments.

Ongoing Support For Parenting

Child issues can change even more drastically and are even more frequent. If you receive child support payments from your spouse and then he or she starts earning significantly more money, your Denver divorce lawyer can help you change your divorce settlement so your child is better provided for.

Similarly, parental decision-making and visitation times may change as the child gets older. Sometimes a child will grow much closer to the parent who does not have the majority of the visitation rights, so a Denver family law lawyer can help arrange for the child to get to spend more time with that parent. In other cases, a parent may find themselves involved in a career that requires demanding hours and frequent travel. If this parent cannot spend as much time with their child, they may wish to shift more parenting time to the other parent in exchange for more parental decision-making rights.

Occasionally, one parent may prove themselves unable to care for or make decisions for a child. In these situations, the other parent may ask the court to revoke the other’s custody and decision-making rights until he or she is able to be responsible for a child’s well-being.

Have Questions? Call Our Firm And Get Your Answers.

Call 303-951-4506 to contact Litvak Litvak Mehrtens and Carlton, P.C., and schedule a consultation about post-decree modifications.

Share This