Compassionate. Smart. Experienced.
Ronald D. Litvak
Ron focuses on bringing both his mind and his heart to every matter he takes on, recognizing that stellar representation of parties in family law occurs at the intersection: a client needs thought and deep analysis in counsel and representation, but clients also need to know that their lawyer cares about their well-being and wants to help obtain an outcome that is constructive rather than destructive. Ron derives deep satisfaction in hearing from clients years after a divorce, when they describe how their lives have improved and how their families have been re-engineered with the foundation created during their divorces. Ron has the respect of his peers and judges as a consummate lawyer whether in settlement, mediation, arbitration, litigation, or appeal.
- Obtained determination that the other spouse had used the multi-billion dollar trusts from his parents as the equivalent of a checking account during marriage, defeating claims that the assets were not property and rendering the appreciation marital.
- Negotiated resolution favorable to client in case involving prenuptial agreement after establishing that the other spouse had failed to exclude appreciation of separate property from the marital estate.
- Obtained determination that the other spouse could not share in client's successful start-up company where the parties had entered into a prenuptial agreement that suggested the parties' assets would remain separate throughout their marriage.
- Successfully argued for substantial minority and marketability discounts associated with client's ownership interests in commercial real estate across the United States.
- Successfully stopped former spouse from reopening a judgment on allegations of nondisclosure by establishing the claims constituted a vague and ill-defined fishing expedition.
- Obtained a ruling that a non-equity partner in a law practice nonetheless held an employment contract that had a value in the millions of dollars.
- Successfully proved separate property through tracing assets in a long-term marriage.
- Selected to be included in the publication, The Best Lawyers in America: 1995-present
- Elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Listed in "Denver's Top Lawyers," 5280 Magazine: Inception to present
- Colorado Super Lawyer in field of Family Law: Inception-present
- 2006 - Super Lawyers rank as one of the Top Ten Lawyers in Colorado for all areas of practice
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D - 1986
- Northwestern University
- B.S - 1979
- Major: Communications
- In re Marriage of Dureno, 854 P.2d 1352 (Colo.App. 1992)
- In re Marriage of LeBlanc, 800 P.2d 1384 (Colo.App. 1990)
- In re Marriage of Bookout, 833 P.2d 800 (Colo.App. 1991)
- In re Marriage of Redford, 776 P.2d 1149 (Colo.App. 1989)
- In re Marriage of Ansay, 839 P.2d 527 (Colo.App. 1992)
- In re Marriage of Sewell, 817 P.2d 594 (Colo.App. 1991)
- In re Marriage of Peterson, 870 P.2d 630 (Colo.App. 1994)
- In re Marriage of Oberg, 900 P.2d 1267 (Colo.App. 1994)
- In re the Estate of Burford vs. Burford, 935 P.2d 943 (Colo.App. 1997)
- In re Marriage of LeBlanc, 944 P.2d 686 (Colo.App. 1997)
- In re Marriage of Balanson, 996 P.2d 213 (Colo.App. 1999) and 25 P.3d 28 (Colo. 2001)
- In re Parental Responsibilities of W.C., 2020 Co 2, 18SC436 (for amicus curiae) (Colo. 2020)
- In re Marriage of Runge, 415 P.3d 884, 2018 COA 23 (Colo.App. 2018)
- In re Marriage of Finn, 411 P.3d 1167, 2016 COA 193 (Colo.App. 2016)
- In re Marriage of Williams, 410 P.3d 1271, 2017 COA 120 (Colo.App. 2017)
- Brandt v. Brandt, 268 P.3d 406, 2012 CO 3 (Colo. 2012)
- Denver Bar Association: 1987-present
- Colorado Bar Association: 1987-present
- CBA Family Law Section: 1987-present
- Served on CBA Family Law Executive Council for 10 years
- American Bar Association: 1987-present
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Fellow): 1996-present
- Executive Council: 1994-2003
- Amicus Curiae Committee Chair: 2000
- Editor, Family Law Section Newsletter: 1995-1997
- President, Colorado Chapter: 2003-2004 term
- President-Elect, Colorado Chapter: 2002-2003 term
- Vice-President, Colorado Chapter: 2001-2002 term
- Secretary, Colorado Chapter: 2000-2001 term
- Treasurer, Colorado Chapter: 1999-2000 term
- "Parental Rights and Responsibilities of Grandparents and Third Parties" The Colorado Lawyer: May 2001 (Co-author)
Classes & Seminars
- "Relocation After Ciesluk and Spahmer", Boulder Interdisciplinary Committee, Nov., 2005
- Family Law Basic Skills, program lecturer: 2001-present
- “You Say Potato, I Say Spud Entrepreneur: the Rule 16.2 Five-Year Rule”, December 2019
- Family Law Advanced Skills, program lecturer
- Colorado Annual Judge's Conference, lecturer: (most recently in 2018)
- Family Law Section lunch presentation, 2001-2019 "Colorado Case Law Update"
- "Colorado Case Law Update", Family Law Institute: 1995-2019
- Colorado Annual Judge's Conference, lecturer: 2005 "Colorado Case Law Update"; 2007 "Property Issues in Divorce" 2012 "Business Valuation in Divorce" and "Case Law Update"
- "The Lighter Side of Custody", Colorado Interdisciplinary Comnmittee Conference, Breckenridge, CO: May 2005
- "Property in Dissolution of Marriage Cases", CBA, CLE in Colorado: April 2005
- "Colorado Case Law Update", Annual Attorney-Mediator Dialogue Conference: 2002, 2005-2007
- "Colorado Case Law Update", Boulder County Bar Association: 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
- "The Lighter Side of 'Therapeutic Jurisprudence'", State IDC Converence: May 2004
- "Case Law, Legislative Developments", CBA Annual Survey of Colorado Law, publication: 2000-2014
- Conference Invitee, ICARA Conference, Washington, DC: Dec. 2003
- "Rent-a-Judge", Advanced Topics in Family Law: Dec. 2003
- "Strategies for Working with the Impaired Client (Name That Personality Disorder)(with Joan H. McWilliams, Esq. and Dana Cogan, M.D.), Lawyers Public Information Foundation: Oct 2002; Family Law Institute, July 2003
- "Current Update in Case Law and Other Perspectives of Marital Valuations", NACVA State Chapter: Sept. 2002
- "Case Law Update", Office of Child Representatives, University of Denver School of Law: May 2002
- "Negotiation Skills for Lawyers", CBA, CLE in Colorado, Inc.: Oct. 2001
- Moderator: "Breckenridge Conference on Parental Responsibility", CBA: Sept. 2000
- "Case Law Update with Focus on Experts", CBA Converntion: Sept. 2000
- "How to Go From a Solo to a Medium Sized Practice", Solo/Small Practice Symposium: June 2000
- "Third Parties, Grandparents and Allocation of Parental Responsibility", CBA, CLE in Colorado, Inc.: May 2000
- "A Humorous Look at Gender Bias in the Legal System", CO IDC Conference: Apr. 2000
- "Family Law Update", Attorney-Mediator Dialogue: Apr. 2000
- "1999 Case Law, Legislative Developments", CBA Annual Survey of Colorado Law, publication: early 2000
- "Colorado Law Update and National Trends; an Analytical Approach", American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Colorado: Dec.1999
- "Double-Dipping and Excess Earnings", CBA Family Law Conference: Apr. 1999
- "Domestic Relations Appellate Practice: Pointers to Make Your Appeal More Powerful", CBA, CLE in Colorado, Inc.: Oct. 1998
- "International Disputes - The Hague Convention", CBA, CLE in Colorado, Inc.: May 1998
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- Colorado, 1987